Manufacturing Engineering Technician
– Swiss Machining
Department: Manufacturing Engineering
Summary : This individual is to participate within the Manufacturing Engineering team towards meeting SwissTech’s and our customers’ requirements and will support the manufacturing operations, with a primary focus on
continuous improvement activities, as a senior technician.
Typical Duties and/or Responsibilities:
Primary responsibilities of job include but are not limited to the following:
• Thorough understanding of tooling and concepts as it applies to machining principles
• Create/modify CNC programs using CAM (PartMaker), conversational programming and/or G-code
• Well-versed within machining processing knowledge: able to develop a capable machining process from a part print
• Studies specifications such as blueprints, sketches, models or descriptions, and visualizes product to determine materials required for machine and tooling selections to be used to manufacture parts.
• Plans most efficient sequence of operations, selects appropriate cutting tools, selects feed rates and verifies parts are machined to correct finish and dimensional tolerances.
• Creates set-up sheets for new jobs and accurately documents set-up requirements, also troubleshoots existing set-ups to adhere to proven programs cycle times.
• Able to verify conformance of machined parts to design specifications
• Participates in discussions regarding machine tools, equipment, tooling and maintenance issues.
• Experienced preferred includes CNC Turning Centers, CNC Mills, CAM-driven Swiss, and CNC Swiss machines
• Train production machinists and set-up machinists on changes to work instructions, machine set-up, and process improvements
• Maintains work area for safe operations by adhering to company safety procedures, polices and shop cleanliness housekeeping standards.
• Work independently with little or no supervision.
• Will perform in a key role supporting Manufacturing and Engineering initiatives.
• Must be a “hands-on” individual, with a mindset towards ensuring thoroughness, completeness, efficiency and quality as deliverables are met.
• Participate as a member of Continuous Improvement teams.
• Participate in corrective actions teams.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate would be strong in the following areas:
• Able to complete work with minimal supervision.
• Able to organize and manage multiple priorities, and plan with an ability to think ahead.
• Must have the ability to leverage a competent skillset including problem solving, task management, and technical skills in a dynamic and diverse production environment.
• Must have strong conflict resolution skills.
• Proficient with 3D/Solid Modeling CAD systems (Solidworks preferred)
• Proficient with machine programming using CAM systems (PartMaker preferred), conversational programming and G-code.
• Experience documenting machine processes including tooling sheets and program controls
• Must document, follow and train to work instructions to ensure process stability
• Experience training production machinists on machine setup, machine operation and inspection measurement
• Able to demonstrate an aptitude for communicating cross-culturally with a willingness to provide training to coworkers.
• Able to represents manufacturing and engineering on cross-functional teams as a key technical resource.
Additional Desired Skillsets:
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to participate within high performance teams, being a strong team player.
• Mission critical, tight-tolerance experience is highly desired (e.g. Medical and/or aerospace).
• Possessing a process-oriented mindset with attention to details is highly desired.
• Able to participate and lead discussions regarding machining processes, machine tools, equipment, tooling and any maintenance issues.
• Able to verify conformance of machined parts to design specifications using standard measuring equipment and techniques. Experience with programmable vision systems and CMM’s is a plus.
Education and/or Experience:
Position requires a minimum of 7 years of setup and troubleshooting experience preferably as a Swiss-type CNC
machinist, with 5 years minimum experience editing G-code programs, and 2 years minimum programming experience using CAM software (PartMaker preferred).
High school diploma minimum; but a 2 year or more technical degree is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An individual must be able to meet the physical demands of the job including climbing ladders, bending, stooping, and standing for long periods of time. In addition, individuals must be able to reach above shoulders and lift a minimum of 50 pounds.